Have you ever been in a situation where you’re following a recipe that calls for 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese, but you don’t have a measuring cup handy? In such cases, it’s helpful to know the weight of the cheese required, so you can measure it out on a kitchen scale.
But how much does 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese weigh? Let’s find out.
The Weight of 1/2 Cup of Parmesan Cheese
Parmesan cheese is a hard, dry cheese that’s typically grated before use. The weight of 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese can vary depending on how finely it’s grated. However, as a general rule, 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese will weigh around 45 grams (1.6 ounces).
Why Knowing the Weight is Important
Measuring ingredients by weight instead of volume can be more accurate and consistent. This is especially true for dry ingredients like grated Parmesan cheese.
When you measure by volume, factors like how tightly packed the ingredient is in the measuring cup can affect the amount you end up using. On the other hand, when you measure by weight, you’re always using the same amount.
How to Measure Parmesan Cheese by Weight
To measure 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese by weight, follow these steps:
- Place a bowl on top of a kitchen scale and zero out the weight.
- Add grated Parmesan cheese to the bowl until it reaches a weight of around 45 grams (1.
- You now have approximately 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese!
Other Ways to Measure Ingredients without Measuring Cups
Not everyone has a kitchen scale on hand, but that doesn’t mean you can’t measure ingredients accurately. Here are a few other ways to measure 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese without using measuring cups:
- Use a tablespoon to scoop the cheese and level it off. You’ll need 8 tablespoons to reach 1/2 cup.
- Estimate the amount based on the size of your palm. A portion roughly the size of a golf ball is equivalent to about 1/2 cup.
Now that you know how much 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese weighs, you can confidently measure it out for your next recipe. Remember, measuring by weight can be more accurate and consistent than measuring by volume, so investing in a kitchen scale is worth considering if you’re serious about cooking or baking.