Flank steak is a popular cut of beef that can be used for a variety of dishes, such as fajitas, stir-fries, and sandwiches. However, it can be tough and Chewy if not prepared correctly. This article will explore the best ways to tenderize flank steak to ensure it is flavorful and tender.
One of the most common ways to tenderize flank steak is by marinating it. A marinade is a mixture of ingredients that includes an acid (such as vinegar or citrus juice) and other flavorings (such as herbs and spices). The acid in the marinade breaks down the tough fibers in the meat, making it more tender.
– 1/4 cup soy sauce
– 1/4 cup olive oil
– 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
– 2 tablespoons brown sugar
– 2 cloves garlic, minced
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl or plastic bag. Add the flank steak and let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (or up to 24 hours). When ready to cook, remove the steak from the marinade and pat it dry with paper towels.
Another method for tenderizing flank steak is by pounding it. This technique involves using a meat mallet or rolling pin to flatten out the meat, which helps break down its tough fibers.
– Place the flank steak on a cutting board. – Cover it with plastic wrap.
– Use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound the steak until it is about 1/4 inch thick. – Remove the plastic wrap before cooking.
Grilling is another way to make flank steak more tender. The high heat from grilling helps break down some of the connective tissue in the meat, resulting in a more tender steak.
– Preheat your grill to high heat. – Brush the flank steak with oil and season it with salt and pepper.
– Place the steak on the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes per side (for medium-rare). – Let the steak rest for a few minutes before slicing it against the grain.
Sous vide is a cooking technique that involves vacuum-sealing food in a bag and cooking it in a water bath at a precise temperature. This method is great for tough cuts of meat like flank steak because it allows you to cook it low and slow, resulting in a tender and juicy steak.
Sous vide instructions:
– Season your flank steak with salt, pepper, and any other desired seasonings. – Vacuum-seal the steak in a plastic bag.
– Preheat your sous vide machine to 130°F for medium-rare (adjust temperature based on your desired level of doneness). – Place the sealed bag in the water bath and cook for 2-3 hours. – Once cooked, remove from the water bath and sear on high heat for 1 minute per side.
In conclusion, there are several ways to tenderize flank steak. Marinating, pounding, grilling, and sous vide are all effective methods that can turn this tough cut of meat into a delicious meal. Try out each method to see which one works best for you!