Flank steak is a popular cut of beef that is known for its rich flavor and versatility. It can be grilled, pan-fried, or broiled, and it’s often served in sandwiches, tacos, or as a main course.
However, cooking flank steak to the right temperature can be challenging for many home cooks. In this article, we will discuss what temperature is medium-rare flank steak and how to achieve it.
What is Medium-Rare Flank Steak?
Medium-rare flank steak refers to the internal temperature of the meat when it’s cooked to perfection. Medium-rare means that the inside of the steak should be warm with a pink center and a slightly browned outer layer. This temperature range gives flank steak its signature tenderness and juiciness.
What Temperature is Medium-Rare Flank Steak?
To achieve medium-rare flank steak, you need to cook it to an internal temperature of 130-135°F (54-57°C). This temperature range gives the meat enough time to cook evenly while retaining its juices and tenderness. To measure the internal temperature of your flank steak accurately, use an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat.
The Best Way to Cook Flank Steak
Now that you know what temperature is medium-rare flank steak let’s discuss how to achieve this through cooking methods.
- Grilling: Preheat your grill on high heat. Season your flank steak with salt and pepper or any other spice mix you prefer. Place it on the grill grates and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until you get grill marks. Then reduce heat or move it to indirect heat and cook for another 5-7 minutes until it reaches medium-rare.
- Pan-Frying: Heat a tablespoon of oil or butter in a cast-iron skillet over high heat. Once the skillet is hot, place your seasoned flank steak in it.
Cook it for 3-4 minutes on each side until it’s browned. Then reduce heat to medium and continue cooking for another 5-7 minutes until it reaches medium-rare.
- Broiling: Preheat your broiler. Place it on a broiler pan and then place the pan in the oven about three inches below the broiler element. Broil for 6-8 minutes on each side until it reaches medium-rare.
Tips for Cooking Flank Steak to Medium-Rare
- Let your flank steak rest before slicing: Once you’ve cooked your flank steak to medium-rare, let it rest for five to ten minutes before slicing. This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, making it more tender.
- Slice against the grain: When you’re ready to slice your flank steak, be sure to cut against the grain.
This will help break up any tough muscle fibers and make the meat more tender and easier to chew.
- Use a marinade: A marinade can add flavor and tenderize your flank steak even more. You can use a store-bought marinade or create one with soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, honey, or any other preferred flavors.
Flank steak is a delicious cut of beef that can be cooked to perfection when you know what temperature is medium-rare flank steak. Cook it at an internal temperature of 130-135°F (54-57°C) and let it rest before slicing.
Use any of the cooking methods, including grilling, pan-frying, or broiling. And don’t forget to slice against the grain and use a marinade to add more flavor and tenderness. With these tips, you can enjoy a juicy and flavorful flank steak every time!