Flank steak is a popular cut of meat that comes from the abdominal area of the cow. It is known for its great flavor and versatility, as it can be used in a variety of dishes such as fajitas, stir-fries, and sandwiches. If you are new to cooking flank steak, you may wonder what it should look like when you purchase it at the store or butcher shop.
What Does Flank Steak Look Like?
Flank steak is a long, flat cut of beef with a grainy texture. It typically measures about 1 inch thick and 4-6 inches wide. The meat is dark red in color and has very little marbling or fat throughout the muscle fibers.
What to Look for When Buying Flank Steak
When buying flank steak, there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure that you get the best quality meat:
- Color: Look for bright red meat with no brown spots or discoloration.
- Freshness: Check the sell-by date on the package or ask your butcher when the meat was cut.
- Texture: The meat should be firm to the touch with no visible soft spots or indentations.
- Thickness: Choose a piece of flank steak that is at least 1 inch thick for best results.
Cooking Flank Steak
Flank steak is a lean cut of beef that can become tough if overcooked. To ensure that your flank steak turns out tender and juicy, follow these cooking tips:
- Marinate: Marinating the meat for at least 30 minutes before cooking can help tenderize it and add flavor.
- Cook quickly: Flank steak should be cooked quickly over high heat, either on a grill or in a hot skillet.
- Slice against the grain: When slicing the cooked meat, be sure to cut against the grain to break up the muscle fibers and make it more tender.
In conclusion, flank steak is a flavorful and versatile cut of beef that can be used in many different dishes. When buying flank steak, look for bright red meat that is firm to the touch and at least 1 inch thick.
To ensure that your flank steak turns out tender and juicy, marinate it before cooking and cook it quickly over high heat. By following these tips, you can enjoy a delicious meal with perfectly cooked flank steak!