If you’re a cheese lover, you probably have a stash of Parmesan cheese in your refrigerator. Parmesan is one of the most versatile cheeses that can be used for various dishes, including pasta, pizza, salads, and more.
But what do you do when you have leftover Parmesan cheese that you don’t want to go to waste? Freezing it is an excellent option!
Why Should You Freeze Parmesan Cheese?
Parmesan cheese is a hard cheese that can last for months in the refrigerator when stored correctly. However, freezing it will prolong its shelf life even further. Freezing Parmesan cheese is an ideal way to preserve it for an extended period without compromising its quality or taste.
The Best Way to Freeze Parmesan Cheese
Here’s how you can freeze Parmesan cheese:
- Start by grating the cheese or cutting it into small pieces.
- Wrap the grated or cut pieces of Parmesan tightly with plastic wrap.
- Place the wrapped Parmesan in a freezer-safe bag and seal it tightly.
- Label the bag with the date and type of cheese.
- Store the bag in the freezer.
Tips for Freezing and Thawing Parmesan Cheese
- Grate or cut only what you need to avoid waste.
- If possible, use a vacuum sealer to remove all air from the freezer bag before sealing it.
- To thaw frozen Parmesan cheese, transfer it from the freezer to the refrigerator and let it thaw overnight. Avoid thawing it at room temperature as this can cause bacterial growth and spoilage.
- Frozen Parmesan cheese may become crumbly after thawing. To restore its texture, let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes before using it.
Freezing Parmesan cheese is an excellent way to extend its shelf life without compromising its quality or taste. By following the steps outlined above, you can freeze Parmesan cheese correctly and enjoy it for months to come.
So next time you have leftover Parmesan cheese, don’t throw it away. Freeze it!