Elk Flank Steak – A Lean and Flavorful Cut of Meat
If you’re looking for a lean and flavorful cut of meat, elk flank steak is an excellent choice. This cut is derived from the flank area of elk, which is a long, flat muscle that runs along the belly. Elk flank steak is known for its tenderness and rich flavor, making it a popular choice among meat lovers.
What Makes Elk Flank Steak Unique?
One of the things that make elk flank steak unique is the fact that it comes from wild game rather than domesticated animals. Elk are free-roaming animals that feed on natural vegetation, which gives their meat a distinct flavor profile. Additionally, elk are leaner than beef, which means that their meat has less fat and fewer calories.
How to Cook Elk Flank Steak
Elk flank steak can be prepared in a variety of ways, including grilling, broiling, or pan-searing. Here’s a simple recipe for grilled elk flank steak:
Grilled Elk Flank Steak Recipe
- 1 pound elk flank steak
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Rub the mixture all over the elk flank steak.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the elk flank steak for 6-8 minutes per side, or until it reaches your desired level of doneness.
- Remove from the grill and let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Health Benefits of Elk Flank Steak
Elk flank steak is a great source of protein, vitamins B6 and B12, iron, and zinc. Additionally, because elk are leaner than beef, their meat has fewer calories and less fat. This makes elk flank steak an excellent choice for people who are looking to maintain a healthy diet while still enjoying a delicious meal.
Overall, elk flank steak is a delicious and healthy cut of meat that’s perfect for grilling or broiling. Its lean texture and rich flavor make it an excellent alternative to beef flank steak. If you’re looking to try something new or just want to add some variety to your diet, give elk flank steak a try!