Chinese BBQ sauce, also known as Char Siu sauce, is a popular ingredient in many Chinese cuisines. This rich and savory sauce is used to marinate meats and veggies for grilling or roasting, giving them a deliciously sweet and tangy flavor.
But what exactly goes into this mouthwatering sauce? Let’s take a closer look.
The ingredients of Chinese BBQ sauce can vary depending on the recipe and personal preferences. However, most recipes typically include the following ingredients:
- Hoisin Sauce: Hoisin sauce is a thick, dark-colored sauce made from soybeans, garlic, vinegar, sugar, and various spices. It adds sweetness and depth to the BBQ sauce.
- Soy Sauce: Soy sauce is an essential ingredient in Chinese cooking. It adds saltiness and umami flavor to the BBQ sauce.
- Honey: Honey provides sweetness and helps caramelize the meat when grilled or roasted.
- Sugar: Sugar is added to balance out the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Rice Wine or Sherry: Rice wine or sherry adds complexity to the flavor of the BBQ sauce.
- Sesame Oil: Sesame oil adds nuttiness and aroma to the BBQ sauce.
- Garlic & Ginger: Garlic and ginger add a pungent flavor that complements the sweetness of the BBQ sauce.
To make Chinese BBQ Sauce:
- Mix hoisin sauce, soy sauce, honey, sugar, rice wine or sherry, sesame oil, garlic, and ginger in a bowl.
- Whisk all the ingredients together until the sugar dissolves.
- The BBQ sauce is now ready to use.
Chinese BBQ Sauce can be used in many ways. It is most commonly used to marinate meat, particularly pork, for grilling or roasting.
The sauce can also be used as a dipping sauce for roasted meats or as a glaze for stir-fried dishes. It can even be used as a condiment for sandwiches or burgers.
- For an extra kick of spiciness, add some chili flakes or Sriracha sauce to the BBQ sauce.
- Marinate the meat overnight for best results.
- When grilling, baste the meat with the BBQ sauce every few minutes to keep it moist and flavorful.
In conclusion, Chinese BBQ Sauce is a flavorful and versatile ingredient that adds depth and complexity to many Chinese dishes. With its sweet and tangy flavor, it’s no wonder why it’s so popular among food lovers all over the world. So why not give it a try next time you’re looking to add some excitement to your meal!