What Are the Ingredients of Kraft American Cheese?
When it comes to American cheese, Kraft is one of the most well-known and popular brands. But have you ever wondered what exactly goes into making this iconic cheese? In this article, we will explore the ingredients that make up Kraft American cheese and delve into why it has become a staple in households across America.
The Main Ingredients
Let’s start by taking a look at the main ingredients of Kraft American cheese:
- Milk: Milk is the primary ingredient in Kraft American cheese. It provides the base for creating the creamy texture and rich flavor that we all love.
- Whey Protein Concentrate: Whey protein concentrate is derived from milk and helps to enhance the texture and melting properties of the cheese.
- Milk Protein Concentrate: Another component derived from milk, milk protein concentrate, adds to the overall protein content of Kraft American cheese.
- Sodium Citrate: Sodium citrate acts as an emulsifying agent, helping to bind the ingredients together and prevent separation.
- Calcium Phosphate: Calcium phosphate is added to improve the texture and increase calcium content in Kraft American cheese.
- Salt: Salt is used to enhance flavor and act as a preservative in processed cheeses like Kraft American cheese.
- Lactic Acid: Lactic acid contributes to both flavor development and preservation in Kraft American cheese.
In addition to these main ingredients, there are some additives used in Kraft American cheese. These additives help to stabilize the cheese, improve its texture, and extend its shelf life. Some common additives found in Kraft American cheese include:
- Annatto: Annatto is a natural food coloring derived from the seeds of the achiote tree. It gives Kraft American cheese its distinctive yellow-orange color.
- Enzymes: Enzymes are added to aid in the cheese-making process and contribute to flavor development.
- Preservatives: Preservatives like sorbic acid are used to prevent mold growth and increase the shelf life of Kraft American cheese.
Kraft American cheese is made using a combination of milk, whey protein concentrate, milk protein concentrate, sodium citrate, calcium phosphate, salt, lactic acid, as well as additives such as annatto, enzymes, and preservatives. The careful selection and balance of these ingredients contribute to the creamy texture, melting properties, and distinct flavor that make Kraft American cheese so popular.
Whether you enjoy it on a classic grilled cheese sandwich or melted over a juicy burger, knowing what goes into making Kraft American cheese can give you a greater appreciation for this beloved pantry staple.