Parmesan cheese is a popular ingredient used in many dishes around the world. It has a unique flavor and texture that can enhance the taste of any meal.
But is parmesan cheese healthy to eat? Let’s find out.
What is Parmesan Cheese?
Parmesan cheese, also known as Parmigiano-Reggiano, is a hard cheese made from cow’s milk. It originated in Italy and is named after the regions of Parma, Reggio Emilia, Bologna, Modena, and Mantua where it is produced.
Nutritional Value of Parmesan Cheese
Parmesan cheese is a good source of protein and calcium. One ounce (28g) of parmesan cheese contains:
- Calories: 122
- Protein: 10g
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Calcium: 331mg (33% DV)
Benefits of Eating Parmesan Cheese
1. Good for Bone Health: Parmesan cheese is an excellent source of calcium. Calcium is vital for strong bones and teeth.
2. Rich in Protein: Parmesan cheese is also rich in protein which helps build muscle mass and repair tissues.
3. Low in Lactose: Parmesan cheese has very low lactose content which makes it suitable for people who are lactose intolerant.
4. Enhances Flavor: The strong flavor of parmesan cheese can enhance the taste of any dish without adding too many calories.
Possible Drawbacks of Eating Parmesan Cheese
1. High in Sodium: One ounce (28g) of parmesan cheese contains approximately 450mg sodium which can contribute to high blood pressure if consumed in excess. High in Calories: Parmesan cheese is calorie-dense and should be consumed in moderation to avoid weight gain. May Contain Additives: Some brands of parmesan cheese may contain additives such as cellulose or potato starch which can lower the quality of the cheese.
In conclusion, parmesan cheese is a healthy food choice when consumed in moderation. It is a good source of protein and calcium which are essential for overall health.
However, it is high in sodium and calories, so it should be consumed in moderation. Choosing high-quality parmesan cheese without additives can help ensure that you are getting the most nutritional benefits from this delicious ingredient.