Ramen is a classic Japanese dish that has taken the world by storm. It consists of noodles served in a savory broth, often with meat, vegetables, and other toppings.
But what about adding Parmesan cheese to this traditional dish? Is it a good idea?
The Flavor Combination of Ramen and Parmesan Cheese
Parmesan cheese has a strong, salty taste that can add a new dimension to the flavor profile of ramen. The nutty and slightly sweet flavor of the cheese can complement the umami-rich broth of ramen. Additionally, the creamy texture of Parmesan cheese can add richness to the dish.
However, some purists argue that adding Parmesan cheese to ramen is sacrilege as it disrupts the authentic taste of the dish. They believe that traditional ramen should be enjoyed without any additional flavors or toppings.
How to Add Parmesan Cheese to Your Ramen
If you’re curious about trying out this unconventional combination, here’s how you can do it:
- Cook your ramen noodles according to package instructions.
- Grate fresh Parmesan cheese using a microplane or a fine grater.
- Add the cooked noodles to a bowl, then pour in your preferred broth.
- Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Garnish with sliced green onions or cilantro if desired.
Alternative Ways to Use Parmesan Cheese in Ramen
If you’re not convinced about adding grated Parmesan cheese on top of your ramen bowl, there are other ways you can incorporate this ingredient into your dish.
- Mix grated Parmesan cheese into the broth before pouring it into your bowl. This will create a creamier and richer broth.
- Add a poached egg to your ramen bowl, then sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top.
The runny yolk and Parmesan cheese will create a delicious sauce that coats the noodles.
- Create a Parmesan cheese “crisp” by sprinkling grated cheese onto a non-stick pan and heating it until it melts and turns golden brown. Place the crisp on top of your ramen bowl as a crunchy topping.
In conclusion, adding Parmesan cheese to ramen is not traditional, but it can be a tasty way to elevate the dish’s flavor profile. Whether you choose to sprinkle grated cheese on top or mix it into the broth, Parmesan can add richness and depth to your ramen experience. So why not give it a try?