There’s nothing quite like the distinct flavor of parmesan cheese. It’s a versatile ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes, from pasta to pizza.

But what happens when you notice mold on your parmesan cheese? Is it still safe to eat? Let’s dive into the answer.

Understanding Mold on Cheese

First, it’s important to understand that mold is a type of fungus. While some types of mold are harmless and even edible (such as those used to create blue cheeses like Roquefort or Gorgonzola), others can be harmful to consume.

When it comes to hard cheeses like parmesan, mold growth is actually quite common. In fact, some cheese makers intentionally add mold spores to their cheeses to create unique flavors and textures.

The Rule of Thumb

So, can you eat parmesan cheese with mold? The answer is: it depends.

If the mold is only present on the surface of the cheese (as opposed to being present throughout), you may be able to salvage it by simply cutting off the affected area. However, if the mold has penetrated deep into the cheese or if there are large quantities present, it’s best to err on the side of caution and throw it out.

As a general rule of thumb, if you’re unsure about whether or not your cheese is safe to eat, it’s best to play it safe and discard it.

Preventing Mold Growth

Of course, prevention is always better than cure when it comes to food safety. To prevent mold growth on your parmesan cheese (or any other type of cheese), follow these tips:

  • Store your cheese properly: Cheese should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
  • Don’t let your cheese get too wet: Excess moisture can promote mold growth, so make sure to pat your cheese dry before storing it.
  • Use your cheese quickly: The longer cheese sits in the fridge, the more likely it is to develop mold. Try to use your parmesan cheese within a week or two of purchasing it.

The Bottom Line

In conclusion, it’s generally safe to eat parmesan cheese with mold as long as you follow a few basic guidelines. If you’re unsure about whether or not your cheese is still good, play it safe and discard it. And remember, prevention is always better than cure when it comes to food safety.