Flank steak is a popular cut of meat that is known for its rich, beefy flavor. It is a long, flat cut of beef that comes from the abdominal muscles of the cow. But when it comes to health and fitness, many people wonder whether flank steak is lean or fatty.
Is Flank Steak Lean or Fatty?
When compared to other cuts of beef, flank steak is considered relatively lean. A 3-ounce serving of cooked flank steak contains approximately 170 calories, 23 grams of protein, and 7 grams of fat. However, it’s important to note that not all fats are created equal.
Flank steak contains both saturated and unsaturated fats. Saturated fats are generally considered unhealthy because they can increase cholesterol levels and contribute to heart disease. Unsaturated fats, on the other hand, are considered healthy because they can help lower cholesterol levels and reduce inflammation in the body.
Fortunately, flank steak contains more unsaturated fats than saturated fats. In fact, about 70% of the fat in flank steak is unsaturated. This makes it a healthier option than many other cuts of beef.
The Benefits of Flank Steak
In addition to being relatively lean and containing healthy fats, flank steak has several other benefits:
- Rich in Protein: Flank steak is an excellent source of protein, which is necessary for building and repairing muscle tissue.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Flank steak contains several key vitamins and minerals such as iron, zinc, and vitamin B12.
- Budget-Friendly: Compared to other cuts of beef such as ribeye or filet mignon, flank steak tends to be more affordable.
How to Cook Flank Steak
Flank steak is a versatile cut of meat that can be cooked in a variety of ways. Here are a few popular cooking methods:
- Grilling: Flank steak is ideal for grilling because it cooks quickly and develops a delicious charred flavor.
- Broiling: If you don’t have access to a grill, you can broil flank steak in the oven for a similar charred effect.
- Sautéing: Flank steak can be sliced thinly and sautéed with vegetables for a quick and easy stir-fry.
The Bottom Line
Flank steak is a lean and healthy cut of beef that contains both protein and healthy fats. While it’s important to be mindful of your overall intake of saturated fats, including flank steak in your diet can provide several health benefits. So go ahead, fire up the grill or heat up the skillet, and enjoy this delicious cut of meat!