Flank steak is one of the most popular cuts of beef among meat lovers. This lean and flavorful cut comes from the abdominal muscles of the cow and is known for its rich, beefy flavor. While it may seem like a tough cut of meat that requires a lot of work to make it tender, sous vide cooking can be the perfect solution to achieve a mouthwatering result.
What is Sous Vide Cooking?
Sous vide cooking is a French technique that involves vacuum-sealing food in a plastic bag and then cooking it in a water bath at a precise temperature for an extended period. This method allows the food to cook evenly and retain its natural flavors and juices.
Is Flank Steak Good for Sous Vide?
Yes, flank steak is an excellent cut of meat for sous vide cooking. Its long fibers make it naturally tough, but by cooking it low and slow in a water bath, you can break down those fibers and turn this lean cut into something tender and delicious.
The Benefits of Cooking Flank Steak Sous Vide
1. Consistent Results: When you cook flank steak sous vide, you have complete control over the temperature. This means that your steak will be cooked to perfection every time.
2. Retains Flavor: Because you vacuum-seal the steak before cooking, all the flavors are retained inside the bag. This results in an intense beefy flavor that cannot be achieved with traditional cooking methods.
3. Tenderizes Meat: Flank steak can be tough if not cooked correctly. By using sous vide, you can break down those long fibers and turn this lean cut into something tender that melts in your mouth.
4. Saves Time: While sous vide may take longer than traditional cooking methods, it frees up your time to do other things while your meat cooks.
- Step 1: Preheat the water bath to your desired temperature. For medium-rare, set it to 129°F (54°C).
- Step 2: Season the flank steak with salt and pepper or any other seasonings of your choice.
- Step 3: Place the seasoned flank steak in a vacuum-sealed bag and seal it using a vacuum sealer.
- Step 4: Place the sealed bag into the preheated water bath and cook for 2-4 hours, depending on the thickness of your steak.
- Step 5: Once done, remove the steak from the bag and pat dry with paper towels.
- Step 6: Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat and add some oil. Sear the steak for about a minute on each side until nicely browned.
How to Sous Vide Flank Steak:
The Bottom Line:
Flank steak is an excellent cut of meat for sous vide cooking because it benefits from being cooked low and slow. By cooking it sous vide, you can achieve consistent results every time, retain its natural flavors, tenderize it, and save time. So go ahead and try cooking flank steak sous vide today!