Fresh Parmesan cheese is a popular ingredient in many Italian dishes. It’s often grated and sprinkled over pasta, pizza, and salads to add a savory flavor. However, if you’re trying to watch your calorie intake, you might be wondering how many calories are in fresh Parmesan cheese.
What is Fresh Parmesan Cheese?
Fresh Parmesan cheese, also known as Parmigiano-Reggiano, is a hard Italian cheese made from cow’s milk. It’s aged for at least 12 months and has a nutty and salty flavor.
Calories in Fresh Parmesan Cheese
One ounce (28 grams) of fresh Parmesan cheese contains approximately 110 calories. This serving size also contains:
- 7.7 grams of fat
- 0.4 grams of carbohydrates
- 10 grams of protein
- 331 milligrams of calcium (33% of the recommended daily intake)
How to Incorporate Fresh Parmesan Cheese into Your Diet?
Fresh Parmesan cheese can add flavor to your meals without adding too many calories if consumed in moderation. Here are some ways to incorporate it into your diet:
- Sprinkle it over your favorite pasta dishes instead of using a heavy cream-based sauce.
- Add it to roasted vegetables for an extra burst of flavor.
- Grate it over soups and stews.
- Use it as a topping for homemade pizza instead of using processed cheeses.
The Bottom Line
Fresh Parmesan cheese is a delicious and versatile ingredient that can enhance the flavors of many dishes. While it does contain calories and fat, consuming it in moderation can be a part of a healthy diet. So go ahead and enjoy this tasty cheese, but remember to watch your portion sizes to keep your calorie intake in check.