Grilling a flank steak can be a daunting task, especially for beginners. The process requires some careful attention to ensure that the meat is cooked to perfection.
One of the most common questions asked by grill enthusiasts is, “How long should you grill flank steak?” In this article, we will provide you with everything you need to know about grilling flank steak.
What is Flank Steak?
Flank steak is a cut of beef that comes from the abdominal muscles of the cow. It’s a lean cut with long muscle fibers and is typically tougher than other cuts of beef. However, when cooked correctly, it can be incredibly tender and flavorful.
Preparing Flank Steak for Grilling
Before grilling your flank steak, there are a few things you need to do to prepare it properly:
- Remove the steak from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- Pat dry the steak with paper towels.
- Season the steak generously with salt and pepper or your favorite dry rub.
How Long Should You Grill Flank Steak?
The cooking time for flank steak depends on several factors such as thickness, grill temperature, and desired doneness. Here’s a general guideline for grilling flank steak:
- Rare: 4-5 minutes per side
- Medium-rare: 5-6 minutes per side
- Medium: 6-7 minutes per side
- Well-done: 8-9 minutes per side
It’s important to note that these times are just guidelines. The best way to determine if your flank steak is done is by using a meat thermometer. For rare, the internal temperature should be 125°F, medium-rare should be 135°F, medium should be 145°F, and well-done should be 160°F.
Tips for Grilling Flank Steak
To ensure that your flank steak turns out perfectly every time, here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Preheat your grill for at least 10-15 minutes before cooking.
- Oil the grates to prevent the steak from sticking.
- Don’t overcrowd the grill. Leave enough space between each steak to ensure even cooking.
- Avoid flipping the steak too often. It’s best to flip it once or twice during the cooking process.
- Let the steak rest for at least 5-10 minutes after grilling before slicing it against the grain.
Grilling flank steak can be a delicious and satisfying experience when done correctly. Remember to prepare your steak properly, use a meat thermometer to determine doneness, and follow our tips for grilling. With these tips in mind, you’ll be grilling perfect flank steaks in no time!