Grilling flank steak can be a great way to enjoy a flavorful, juicy cut of meat. But how long should you grill it for? The answer depends on a few factors, including the thickness of the steak and your desired level of doneness.
The thickness of your flank steak will play a big role in determining how long it needs to be grilled for. Thicker cuts will take longer to cook than thinner ones. As a general rule of thumb, you should plan on grilling your flank steak for about 6-8 minutes per side.
Factors that Affect Cooking Time
There are several factors that can affect how long it takes to grill flank steak:
1. Thickness: As mentioned above, thicker cuts will take longer to cook than thinner ones.
2. Temperature: The temperature of your grill can also impact cooking time.
If you’re using a gas grill, preheat it to medium-high heat (around 375°F). If you’re using a charcoal grill, wait until the coals are ashed over and glowing before adding the steak.
3. Level of Doneness: How well-done do you like your steak?
This will impact cooking time as well. For rare or medium-rare steak, aim for an internal temperature of 130-135°F. For medium or medium-well, aim for 140-150°F.
4. Resting Time: After removing the flank steak from the grill, allow it to rest for about 5-10 minutes before slicing into it. This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat and results in a more tender and flavorful final product.
- Tips for Grilling Flank Steak:
- Marinate the steak beforehand to infuse extra flavor.
- Brush with oil or butter before grilling to prevent sticking.
- Use tongs instead of a fork to flip the steak and avoid piercing it, which can cause juices to escape.
- Let the steak rest before slicing into it to ensure a juicy and tender final product.
In summary, grilling flank steak can take anywhere from 6-8 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the cut and your desired level of doneness. Other factors like grill temperature and resting time can also impact cooking time. By following these tips and properly timing your cook, you’ll be sure to enjoy a delicious and satisfying meal.