If you’re looking to cook a delicious flank steak on a charcoal grill, you’ve come to the right place. Flank steak is a lean and flavorful cut of meat that can be grilled to perfection with a little bit of know-how and patience.
Before we get started, it’s important to note that the cooking time for flank steak on a charcoal grill can vary depending on a few factors, including the thickness of the steak, the temperature of your grill, and your personal preference for doneness. However, as a general rule of thumb, you can expect it to take around 10-12 minutes for medium-rare steak.
Here’s how to cook flank steak on a charcoal grill:
Step 1: Prepare your grill by lighting the charcoal and allowing it to heat up until it reaches medium-high heat (around 375-400°F).
Step 2: While your grill is heating up, prepare your flank steak by seasoning it with salt and pepper or your favorite rub. You can also marinate it for added flavor.
Step 3: Once your grill is hot, place the flank steak directly over the coals. Cook it for about 4-5 minutes per side, or until you see some nice grill marks forming.
Step 4: After searing both sides of the steak, move it over to indirect heat (away from direct flame) or reduce heat if possible. Cover the grill with its lid and let it continue cooking until desired doneness is achieved – check after another 5-6 minutes.
Step 5: Remove the steak from the grill and let it rest for about five minutes before slicing against-the-grain.
It’s worth noting that if you prefer a more well-done steak or have thicker cuts, you may need to adjust cooking times accordingly. Use an instant-read thermometer to check for doneness – medium-rare is about 135°F, medium is around 145°F, and well-done is over 160°F.
Tips for Grilling Flank Steak:
– Let the steak rest at room temperature for about an hour before grilling to help it cook evenly. – Don’t flip the steak too often – let it sear on each side before turning.
– For added flavor, try basting the steak with a mixture of melted butter and herbs or garlic during the cooking process. – Be sure to slice against-the-grain to maximize tenderness.
- Serve sliced flank steak with chimichurri sauce.
- Make a flavorful Asian-inspired marinade with soy sauce, ginger, and sesame oil.
- Try a spicy rub with paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper.
Flank Steak Recipe Ideas:
In conclusion, cooking flank steak on a charcoal grill can be a delicious and satisfying experience. With a little bit of preparation and patience, you can create a juicy and flavorful steak that your family and friends will love. So fire up that grill and get cooking!