If you’re a fan of Parmesan cheese, then you know how important it is to have this ingredient always on hand. Parmesan cheese is a versatile and delicious addition to any dish – from pasta to soups to salads.
But what happens when your grated Parmesan cheese has been sitting in the fridge for a while? How long does it last?
Shelf Life of Grated Parmesan Cheese
Grated Parmesan cheese has a surprisingly long shelf life. Thanks to its low moisture content, it can last for months in the refrigerator without going bad. However, it’s important to keep in mind that the quality and flavor of the cheese may start to deteriorate over time.
How Long Does Grated Parmesan Cheese Last?
The shelf life of grated Parmesan cheese depends on several factors, including the packaging, storage conditions, and whether or not it’s been opened.
If unopened and properly stored in the refrigerator at or below 40°F (4°C), grated Parmesan cheese can last for up to six months past its expiration date. However, if opened or stored improperly, the cheese may go bad much sooner.
Once opened, grated Parmesan cheese should be tightly sealed in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag. It should also be stored in the coldest part of your refrigerator – typically at the back of a shelf – to maintain its quality.
- If stored properly, freshly grated Parmesan cheese can last for up to three weeks in the fridge.
- If you’ve purchased pre-grated Parmesan cheese from the store, it will typically have a shorter shelf life due to added preservatives.
- Store-bought grated Parmesan cheese usually lasts about two weeks after opening.
Signs That Grated Parmesan Cheese Has Gone Bad
While grated Parmesan cheese has a long shelf life, it’s important to know when it’s time to toss it out. Here are some signs that your Parmesan cheese may have gone bad:
- Foul odor: If your grated Parmesan cheese smells sour or has an unpleasant odor, it’s time to throw it out.
- Mold: If you notice any mold on the surface of your Parmesan cheese, discard the entire block or package.
- Discoloration: If the color of your Parmesan cheese has changed or there are dark spots on the surface, it may have gone bad.
In conclusion, grated Parmesan cheese can last for months in the refrigerator if stored properly. When in doubt, be sure to check for signs of spoilage before using it in your favorite dishes. By following these tips, you can ensure that your grated Parmesan cheese always tastes fresh and delicious.