Parmesan cheese is a beloved ingredient in many cuisines. Its nutty and salty flavor adds a rich taste and aroma to dishes, making it a staple in many households.
However, storing parmesan cheese properly can be a challenge as it can easily lose its flavor and texture if not stored correctly. In this article, we will discuss the best ways to store parmesan cheese to keep it fresh and tasty.
Why Proper Storage is Important?
Parmesan cheese is an aged cheese that contains low moisture content. Because of its low moisture content, it is prone to drying out and becoming hard if not stored correctly. This can result in the loss of flavor and texture of the cheese.
How to Store Parmesan Cheese
There are several ways you can store parmesan cheese to keep it fresh for longer periods. Here are some tips:
- Wrap it tightly: Wrap your parmesan cheese tightly in wax paper or parchment paper. This will help prevent moisture from getting into the cheese and keeps it from drying out.
- Avoid plastic wrap: Avoid wrapping your parmesan cheese in plastic wrap as it can trap moisture inside the packaging, causing the cheese to become moldy.
- Store in an airtight container: If you have a large piece of parmesan cheese, consider storing it in an airtight container instead of wrapping it up. This will help prevent air from getting into the container and keep the cheese fresh for longer periods.
- Store in the refrigerator: Parmesan cheese should always be stored in the refrigerator at around 40°F (4°C). The cold temperature helps prevent bacteria growth and keeps the cheese fresh for longer periods.
- Grate it when needed: Grate your parmesan cheese only when needed to prevent it from drying out quickly. It is best to use a microplane grater as it produces fine shreds that melt quickly and evenly.
Tips for Using Parmesan Cheese
Parmesan cheese is a versatile ingredient that can be used in many dishes. Here are some tips on how to use it:
- Shave it over salads: Shave parmesan cheese over salads to add a nutty and salty flavor.
- Add to pasta dishes: Add grated parmesan cheese to pasta dishes, such as spaghetti carbonara or fettuccine alfredo, for an added burst of flavor.
- Serve with crackers: Serve parmesan cheese with crackers and fruits for a quick and easy appetizer.
- Sprinkle over soups: Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over soups, such as minestrone or tomato soup, for an added richness and depth of flavor.
- Melt over vegetables: Melt parmesan cheese over roasted vegetables, such as broccoli or cauliflower, for a tasty side dish.
Proper storage of parmesan cheese is crucial in maintaining its quality and taste. By following the tips mentioned above, you can ensure that your parmesan cheese stays fresh and flavorful for longer periods. So go ahead and buy that large piece of parmesan cheese without any worries!