Jerky is a type of dried meat that has been popular for centuries. It is a convenient and portable snack that can be stored for long periods without refrigeration.
Jerky can be made from various types of meat, but the most commonly used meats are beef, venison, turkey, and chicken. However, if you’re looking to use flank steak for jerky, you might be wondering whether it’s a good option or not.
Can You Use Flank Steak for Jerky?
Yes, you can use flank steak for jerky. Flank steak is a lean cut of beef that comes from the abdominal muscles of the cow. It is a popular choice for jerky because it has a rich flavor and is relatively affordable compared to other types of steak.
Flank steak is also easy to work with because it has a consistent thickness throughout the cut. This makes it easy to slice into thin strips that will dry evenly when making jerky.
How to Make Flank Steak Jerky
To make flank steak jerky, you’ll need to follow these steps:
1. Begin by selecting a high-quality flank steak from your local butcher or grocery store. 2. Trim any excess fat from the steak using a sharp knife. 3. Place the steak in the freezer for 30-60 minutes. This will help firm up the meat and make it easier to slice. 4. Preheat your oven or dehydrator to 160°F (71°C). 5.
Remove the steak from the freezer and slice it against the grain into thin strips using a sharp knife or meat slicer. 6. Season the strips of meat with your preferred spices and marinade. 7. Arrange the strips on a baking sheet or in your dehydrator trays. 8. Place them in the oven or dehydrator and let them dry for 4-6 hours, or until they are fully dried and no longer moist to the touch. 9. Once the jerky is done, remove it from the oven or dehydrator and let it cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Benefits of Flank Steak Jerky
Flank steak jerky is not only a delicious snack, but it also has several health benefits. Here are some of the benefits of eating flank steak jerky:
- High Protein Content: Flank steak jerky is high in protein, which makes it an excellent snack for people who are trying to build muscle or maintain their muscle mass.
- Low in Fat: Flank steak is a lean cut of beef that contains less fat than other types of meat. This makes flank steak jerky a healthy snack option.
- No Preservatives: When you make your own flank steak jerky at home, you can ensure that there are no harmful preservatives or additives added to it.
- A Convenient Snack: Flank steak jerky is a portable snack that can be taken with you on-the-go. It doesn’t require refrigeration, making it an ideal snack for hiking trips, camping trips, or road trips.
The Bottom Line
Flank steak is an excellent choice for making beef jerky. It’s lean, flavorful, and easy to work with.
Making your own flank steak jerky at home is also an excellent way to ensure that you’re eating a healthy snack without any harmful additives or preservatives. So go ahead and give it a try!