Parmesan cheese is one of the most popular and versatile types of cheese used in cooking. It has a nutty and salty flavor that makes it perfect for adding a savory taste to dishes like pasta, salads, pizza, and soups.
When it comes to using Parmesan cheese in recipes, most people prefer to use freshly grated Parmesan cheese because it has a better taste and texture compared to pre-shredded or pre-grated cheese. But what if you only have shredded Parmesan cheese available Can you still grate it
The Short Answer
Yes, you can grate shredded Parmesan cheese. In fact, grating shredded Parmesan cheese is an excellent way to get the most out of your ingredients while also saving time.
The Long Answer
When you grate fresh Parmesan cheese, the texture is light and fluffy with small shreds that melt easily when heated. On the other hand, pre-shredded or pre-grated Parmesan cheese often contains added cellulose or starch to prevent clumping and maintain its shape in packaging. These additives can affect the texture and flavor of the cheese when heated or mixed into dishes.
However, if you only have shredded Parmesan cheese available, grating it can still give you good results. The key is to ensure that the shreds are broken down into smaller pieces before grating them.
- Firstly, remove any excess moisture from the shredded Parmesan by patting it dry with paper towels.
- Next, place the shredded Parmesan into a food processor or blender.
- Pulse several times until the shreds break down into smaller pieces.
- Finally, use a fine grater or microplane to grate the broken-down shreds into small pieces.
By grating shredded Parmesan cheese, you can still achieve the light and fluffy texture of freshly grated Parmesan cheese without sacrificing too much flavor or quality.
Other Tips for Grating Parmesan Cheese
Whether you are using freshly grated or grated shredded Parmesan cheese, there are some tips that can help you achieve the best results:
- Use a high-quality Parmesan cheese for the best flavor.
- Store Parmesan cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator to keep it fresh.
- Grate only what you need to prevent waste.
- Use a fine grater or microplane for a light and fluffy texture.
In summary, grating shredded Parmesan cheese is possible and can still give you good results if done correctly. While freshly grated Parmesan cheese is always preferred, grated shredded Parmesan cheese can be a convenient and time-saving alternative.
Just remember to break down the shreds into smaller pieces before grating them and use high-quality ingredients for the best flavor. With these tips in mind, you’ll be able to grate any type of Parmesan cheese with ease!