Are you wondering if you can cut and freeze flank steak? The answer is yes, you can! Flank steak is a popular cut of beef that comes from the abdominal muscles of the cow.
It’s known for its rich flavor and versatility in cooking. However, buying a large piece of flank steak may be too much for one meal. Freezing it is an excellent way to preserve it and make it last longer.
The Proper Way to Cut Flank Steak
Before freezing flank steak, it’s crucial to know how to cut it properly. Flank steak has long, tough muscle fibers that run across the grain. Therefore, it’s best to slice the meat thinly against the grain to make it tender and easy to chew.
- Place the flank steak flat on a cutting board.
- Locate the direction of the grain (the lines running along the meat)
- Cut perpendicular (across) to the grain in thin slices, around 1/4 inch thick.
- Repeat until all of the meat has been sliced.
How to Freeze Flank Steak
After cutting your flank steak into thin slices against the grain, it’s time to freeze them properly. Freezing meat correctly ensures that its quality is preserved and avoids freezer burn.
- Wrap each slice individually with plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
- Place wrapped slices into a freezer-safe bag or container.
- Squeeze out any excess air and seal tightly.
- Date your package with a marker or label so that you know when it was frozen.
How Long Can You Freeze Flank Steak?
Flank steak can be frozen for up to 6 months. However, it’s best to consume it within 3-4 months for optimal quality.
The Proper Way to Thaw Flank Steak
When you’re ready to cook your frozen flank steak, it’s essential to thaw it properly. Thawing meat at room temperature can be dangerous as it allows bacteria to grow. The best way is to plan ahead and thaw the meat in the refrigerator.
- Remove the frozen flank steak from the freezer bag or container.
- Place it on a plate or tray and leave it in the refrigerator overnight.
- Once thawed, cook the flank steak immediately.
Tips for Cooking Flank Steak
Flank steak is versatile and can be cooked in several different ways. Here are some tips on how to cook your flank steak:
- Grill: Preheat your grill on high heat and cook each side for around 4-5 minutes until medium-rare.
- Bake: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for around 15-20 minutes until medium-rare.
- Sear: Heat up a cast-iron skillet on high heat and sear each side of the steak for around 2-3 minutes until medium-rare.
Flank steak is a delicious cut of beef that can be cut and frozen easily. Remember to slice against the grain before freezing, wrap each slice individually, date your package, and freeze for up to six months.
When you’re ready to cook your flank steak, plan ahead and thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. With these simple steps, you’ll be able to enjoy your flavorful and tender flank steak anytime you want.